Venting wood fires produces creosote, a toxic and highly combustible residue which collects inside your chimney and must be swept out to help avoid a damaging chimney flue fire. Chimney fires cost hundreds of millions ($) in losses from burned homes, not to mention loss of life. The United States Fire Administration (USFA) offers these suggestions:
- Have your fireplace inspected and cleaned annually by a Certified Chimney Specialist
- Clear the area around the hearth of debris, decorations and flammable liquids.
- Leave glass doors open and fire screens closed.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Use a metal container to hold ashes and move them at least 30 feet away from your house.
- Use only seasoned hardwood (a year old and kept dry)
- Never leave a burning fireplace unattended
Burning wood in a fireplace not only warms the room but also something deep inside us all. Keep it safer for your family.
Call Chimney Kleen for an inspection and sweeping.